At this point I had loosely stitched up the majority of the canoe, except for the ends.
I wasn’t confident enough with what I came up with in CAD so I had not cut the ends of the strakes to ensure I could get the curve I wanted. So I had to clamp the ends tight and stitch up my freehand curve inside of the cut that was going to be made. I then freehanded a jigsaw away from the line for later filing and sanding back.
I then put a couple of temporary gunwals and spreader on so I could carry the shell without it collapsing.
So the templates for the skeleton have been cut out and its time to form the strongback to hold them. I had some kitchen laminate board lying around so I decided to box it up and attached the skeleton with droppers down to the strongback. The strongback is there as something to fix to, keep everything straight and be able to do measurements from. How I did it was fairly dodgy as it had about a 10mm bow in it if supported in the center only, but with taking this into account it worked. There are way better examples of how you should do it on the internet, most involve having the strongback inside the frame pieces. You would cutout holes in each piece and slide them over the strongback. Anyway, heres some pictures…
Picking up where I left off, we were transfering the design to the ply.
Now I needed to predrill a hole on each junction point so the jigsaw could be turned. I offset my holes outside of the frame pieces, but it probably would have been easier to do it exactly on the points. The small amount of the hole that would have been left in the two bulkhead pieces later would have been covered by an epoxy fillet. Because I didn’t think of that at the time, when I began cutting I had to cut small triangles out at each corner to rotate the jigsaw correctly.
After a short celebration (VB), I ripped through the rest of the sheet.
It was starting to look like some progress was being made at this point and I was excited, I recall saying to someone that it would only be a couple more weekends until it was completed. HAHAHA im such a kidder..
~ Continued from “Design v2″.
I purchased some British Standards marine ply for the canoe. 4mm for the sides and 9mm for the frame. It was my first investment other then time. The delivery was quick and not to expensive and it was great to see it when I got home from work stacked nicely in the garage. It took a while for me to realise that they must have just thought “Oh, nobodys home! Lets just open up their garage door anyhow and put it inside for safe keeping..”. Not to worry I guess, as nothing was missing.
Opening up AutoCad to checkout the plans one last time. You can see how I drew the ply sheet and overlayed the sections on it. I then overlayed an A3 sized rectangle onto of them both. I used it to select my exact print areas. Also note I checked out the legal issues with carrying it ontop of my car, it’s legal but I’m still not sure if I will.
After a final check I began printing out my plans for the molds in 1:1 scale, I taped them onto the thicker sheet of ply.
The sheets all line up perfectly when joined exactly edge to edge. Some points are just outside the printable area on the sheets, but by extending the lines im able to form the points correctly.
I left it at that for this particular day.