Capitan Morgans Canoe – Construction begins!

~ Continued from “Design v2″.

I purchased some British Standards marine ply for the canoe. 4mm for the sides and 9mm for the frame. It was my first investment other then time. The delivery was quick and not to expensive and it was great to see it when I got home from work stacked nicely in the garage. It took a while for me to realise that they must have just thought “Oh, nobodys home! Lets just open up their garage door anyhow and put it inside for safe keeping..”. Not to worry I guess, as nothing was missing.

British Standards Marine Ply

British Standards Marine Ply

Opening up AutoCad to checkout the plans one last time. You can see how I drew the ply sheet and overlayed the sections on it. I then overlayed an A3 sized rectangle onto of them both. I used it to select my exact print areas. Also note I checked out the legal issues with carrying it ontop of my car, it’s legal but I’m still not sure if I will.

After a final check I began printing out my plans for the molds in 1:1 scale, I taped them onto the thicker sheet of ply.

Plans in A3 Printed out

Plans in A3 Printed outFrame Plans taped to plywood

Plans for the molds taped down ready for cutting.

Plans for the molds taped down ready for cutting.

The sheets all line up perfectly when joined exactly edge to edge. Some points are just outside the printable area on the sheets, but by extending the lines im able to form the points correctly.

Transfer of plans to plywood

Transfer of plans to plywood

I left it at that for this particular day.

Continues with “The First Cut” ~

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *